Debian/Mac and serial ports

Monday, October 26 1998 23:01, wb2oyc <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net> wrote to Udo
van den Heuvel:

 >> To confirm your findings you could build a basic version of kermit
 >> (ftp.columbia.edu) and see if the results are the same (I suspect so).
 >> Maybe we could consult the author of the serial port source to see if it
 >> depends on the kind of port (make/model of the Mac)?

 wo> Thats a good point,,,I have not tried this with the ports on other than
 wo> the Q700 and Q650, but I will.  I expect it will act the same way tho'
 wo> because I don't think the ports are initialized at all during boot.

The kernel doesn't do any initilization like on the PC for standard serial
ports?
Did you find kermit and try it?

 wo> I don't even think the script that should run, gets called, and I
 wo> don't know why.

I not yet familiar with the debian way of doing things (on the pc I use redhat)
but you could try /etc/rc.d/rc.serial which is called from rc.sysinit (on
redhat, at least).

 wo> It is there, and someone else said its in the right
 wo> place (that file I mentioned in the /etc/rc.boot) SHOULD execute, but
 wo> does not. I know that because the echo lines are not printed at boot
 wo> time. Never.

You could try to just hardcode the lines in a script that _is_ used during boot
just to test things.

Greetz,
        Udo