Re: DebConf16 team meeting: Wednesday 24 June 2015, matters to discuss

A few cents:

also sprach Bernelle Verster <bernellev@gmail.com> [2015-06-22 20:04 +0200]:
> 2. DebConf16 dates: UCT Vac dates 14 June to 07 July 2016, this will be
> confirmed before end of the month of June 2015.
> So, is DebConf16 that ends on 6 July too early?

No. There will be people who complain and others who don't, but it
sounds like there's not much we can do about it anyway, and so we
need not worry.

> 3. Accommodation: 2016 rates is now available and in the accommodation
> folder on git, as well as the contract template.
> Rooms: R283.00 pppn, incl VAT.
> Meal rates are also there.

~21 EUR, ftr.

> 3.1. Things to consider in the contract:
> ** Can someone with more legal know-how fine comb this contract?

Sure. What's the document? Commercial\ Groups\ Booking\ Form_15.pdf
?

> 3.1.1. Admin:
> on page 1 they ask for number of beds. advice?

Well, we can give them a rough estimate now (200?), better numbers
in spring, and final numbers about a month before the conference.

> we may need a deposit payment soon - how do we go about this?
> where can we find this money?

We'll have it in DebConf15 surplus, or from Debian. How much are you
expecting?

> page 8: 23. The University is a ‘non-smoking’ institution and smoking in
> public areas inside of buildings is prohibited.

Sounds doable.

> 3.1.2. Alcohol:
> page 11: ALCOHOL
> 1. Glass bottles may not be brought into residence or its environment under
> any circumstances.
> 2. Should anyone wish to bring alcohol onto University premises, it first
> needs to be cleared via the Vacation Accommodation Office.
> So, not an outright no :)

Right, this is an open door that we can use. I am thinking that
maybe we can get some "references" from past venues on how
uncomplicated we were (DC13 comes to mind, DC15 probably) and try to
negotiate with them that we can get exceptions.

> 3.2. Then, choices choices:
> Residence: Graca Machel has a total of 382 rooms, made up of 194 single and
> 94 double rooms, plus four rooms for disabled residents. But it is on
> Middle campus, and so a few minutes walk (uphill!) to the conference venue.
> It's a very new building.
> Upper campus: Fuller is available, which houses 229 students mostly in
> single rooms, it's situated on the upper campus, close to the library,
> computer labs, Sports Centre and lectures. We could use Jan Smuts to
> possibly take up extras, but this strains the kitchen. This residence is
> very, very close to the conference venue, I'd say less than 50m. This
> building is ancient.
> http://www.uct.ac.za/apply/residence/uctresidence/first/residences/

What are the choices? What's "a few minutes walk"? How many metres?

We should try to get everyone in one place and both look large
enough. Graca Machel has the benefit that we could scale better in
case we get more people than expected, and double rooms are already
half the family accomodation needs, plus will be requested too by
couples etc.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf15: Heidelberg, Germany: http://debconf15.debconf.org