Re: [Debconf-video] please provide me with the facts

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:48:26PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 16:32 +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > On Monday 18 June 2007 21:56, martin f krafft wrote:
> > > I would like to publish a press release about our video streaming
> > > and preparation, and I would appreciate if you could help me by
> > > providing the facts, such as:
> > >
> > >   - how many mirrors are there?
> >
> > 16, see the bottom at
> >
> > http://homer.dc7.debconf.org/munin/dc7.debconf.org/VideoSystem.dc7.debconf.org.html
>
> Given the number of listeners, it's just possible that this is
> over-engineered!

Regarding this fact, it does appear overengineered based on this year's
numbers. Indeed, with the Linux Audio Conference streams we managed
similar numbers with only a single relay in 2006 and in 2007 just one
master server (no relay at all due to network issues at TU Berlin, but
that's a different story). I don't think we really need more than one or
two relays per continent.

For next year, I would really, really like to have the relay network up
and running several months in advance, perhaps rebroadcasting this
year's talks. While I can't guess how many viewers we could get for DC8, I'm
certain that if we can widely publish URLs well in advance of the
conference start, rather than the day of as we did this year, that we
will have significantly greater numbers of people watching. I think it
would be a mistake to continue to call streaming optional based on these
numbers, when, in my opinion the main reason the numbers are low is that
the service was considered optional and therefore not advertised.

To be clear, I think it was a good idea not to advertise streaming this
year because we weren't sure we would have time to make it happen _and_
get everything working with dvswitch. But, dvswitch has worked very well
and will probably, hopefully, get at least two more conference trials
between now and DC8 (LCA08 in Melbourne and LAC08 in Cologne). So, I
think ensuring the recordings for posterity will be pretty well sorted
and we'll have more time to work out the streaming kinks in time to
advertise streaming as a non-optional service.

-Eric Rz.