Re: Video Capture and Streaming Battle Plan (was:Fluendo, DV capture & other bits and pieces)

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 21:46 +0200, Herman Robak wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 12:34 -0500, John Lightsey wrote:

> >  The camera operators will just need to monitor the equipment and
> > let someone know if anything goes wrong.
>
>  I think the camera operators should do a little more to make a
> recording that is pleasing to watch.  That involves zooming in on
> the speaker, and using the appropriate zoom on the screen, so that
> it can be perfectly legible at low resolution.
>
> I can give a crash course in framing and camera movement, if needed.

If you think it's workable, panning between screen and presenter is
definitely an improvement over a fixed camera.  My only concern is that
it places a heavy burden on the camera operator to make the video turn
out correctly.  I've botched enough recordings myself to appreciate that
this isn't a trivial task.

Tore suggested splicing a separate screen video stream into the
presenter video stream, but this makes heavy editing with cinelerra a
requirement.

(Personally, I think that Lessig clip looks pretty good.)

> >  We'll split the files into different talks after the fact.
>
>  Are you suggesting _one_ humongous file per day?  The filesystem
> supports it, but does Kino behave well with 60 GB files?  I am afraid
> Cinelerra has some scaling issues, too.

No, set it to auto-split the files at 2GB with a timestamp and a simple
naming scheme like "c1d1-<timestamp>.dv" for Camera 1, Day 1.  Then you
load the pieces into kino, cut at the start and end, and export it back
out as a single DV file for each presentation.

Upload/copy that DV file to a directory on the encoding server and
you're done.

John