Re: Video Capture and Streaming Battle Plan

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 17:08 -0500, John Lightsey wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 21:46 +0200, Herman Robak wrote:

> > I can give a crash course in framing and camera movement, if needed.
>
> If you think it's workable, panning between screen and presenter is
> definitely an improvement over a fixed camera.  My only concern is that
> it places a heavy burden on the camera operator to make the video turn
> out correctly.  I've botched enough recordings myself to appreciate that
> this isn't a trivial task.

 Sure not.  My Sony HDV camera can alternate between two programmed
settings; zoom, focus, exposure, white balance, the works.  That limits
the fiddling to pressing a button, panning and tilting.  Without that
feature, it is hard to do it gracefully.

 Each camera has its handling quirks and tricks.  The viewfinder may
be much brigther than computer or TV screens, making the videographer
under-expose.  Accurate manual focusing can be nigh impossible, while
autofocus on a projector screen can be a disaster.

 The advantage of two images, either from two cameras or one camera
plus the presenter's slides, is that the camera operator can allow
himself to fiddle for a few seconds.  If the master image switches
to the slides, the camera can zoom in for a quick refocus and adjust
the framing without disturbing the viewers.  Most zooming and focusing
will then take place while the camera is "off the air", like in a
typical studio production.

> Tore suggested splicing a separate screen video stream into the
> presenter video stream, but this makes heavy editing with cinelerra a
> requirement.

 If only we could do that live!  A laptop is too feeble, but the
SMP servers could pull it off, with the right software.

> (Personally, I think that Lessig clip looks pretty good.)

 I think I changed the exposure a little too much.  And that tripod
needs a new head!  Camera movement is supposed to be smooooth.

--
Herman Robak