Re: Video Capture and Streaming Battle Plan (was:Fluendo, DV capture & other bits and pieces)

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 21:46 +0200, Herman Robak wrote:
>  I have a recording illustrating the problem of exposure:
> <ftp://ftp.skolelinux.no/skolelinux/press/20050520-kopinor/lessig_20050520.mpeg>
> Viewing the first couple of minutes will make it clear that the
> screen and the speaker could not be shown clearly at the same time.
> Either the presenter would get very dark, or the screen would be
> very washed out.  So the camera must alternate.
>
>  To be visually compelling, the camera must frame the speaker
> tightly, and anticipate the interest of the audience:  It should
> start moving towards the screen before the speaker points at it.
> If it doesn't, it will get the "surveillance camera look".

How about using a single laptop/desktop which we know has working TV-out
(which would certainly cut down on VGA out problems as well) and tell
the talkers to use removable storage or put it up on some server? Unless
they are demoing something odd that prevents us from doing this, we
could then record the signal directly from TV out while feeding VGA to
the projector - we'd probably get much better quality even with a
consumer VCR than with recording - and then edit the two together into a
single stream?

Now that I think, how about having a wireless mouse, so the talker
doesn't have to stand infront of the machine all the time, too? I can
bring mine...

Geek talks being as based on the slides as they frequently are, it's
very frustrating not being able to read the screen (like Owen's
thoroughly bodged talk on Cairo from 6uadec)

--
Tore S Bekkedal <toresbe@ifi.uio.no>