Re: Organizing the video team

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 23:29 +0200, Herman Robak wrote:
>   I thought so, too, until I discovered a really annoying quirk in my
> new HDV camera: It cuts the sound during tape eject and tape insertion.
> The timecode is reset when I switch tape, too.  So my long continuous
> harddisk recording has two 5-second periods of silence, and non-contiguous
> timecode.  Ick!

Sounds annoying :-/

See my separate post about audio -- if we do audio recording separately,
we may be able to live with this sort of thing. There will be plenty of
visual cues to sync the sound in post-processing, and there may be other
benefits of having sound and audio mixed from separate sources.

But this is why I'd like to hear everone's thoughts on a high-level
diagram for how the pieces should be connected. For example, what I'm
used to for live video work is something like the following:

[mic] ----\
[mic] --> [audio mixer] ----\
[mic] ----/                  \
                              \
[cam] -----\                 [encoding] --> [streaming]
[cam| ---> [video mixer] ----/
[cam] -----/

In this example, sound is mixed from three microphone sources, and video
is separately mixed from three cameras. The whole thing is then encoded
and finally streamed. (This is greatly simplified -- for instance, I've
left out permanent storage, which could be inserted anywhere, before or
after the encoding.)

But you may have a completely different picture of how this is going to
be set up. Please, try to out-ASCII-art me ;) or make a diagram with Dia
so we can all see the whole system and resolve missing equipment issues
asap.

>   Harddrives will be roughly the same weight and size, and only 2-3 times
> more expensive than DV tape.  DV tapes may go out of fashion before IDE
> drives do.  If we have a TB of disk storage that we can maintain, we are
> golden.

Do we have it? If not, can we get it and for how long?

--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>