Re: Organizing the video team

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 22:54 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> I completely want to avoid tapes. I want to put as much work up front
> on the setup as possible, so that we just do the lights/sounds/camera
> work, which is more than enough already for people who are there for
> the conference itself, not to slave over transferring video from tapes
> to digital and editing, and stuff.

I got a comment on the tapes from a person who will likely participate
in the camera and editing crew:

If we record to tape just in case, then at least we will have a good
quality recording for postprocessing. Not to mention a comparatively
cheap backup, should anything go wrong with the rest of the system.

> Editing/post-production is very very very very unlikely to happen
> unless someone steps up and gets it done. Last year I captured about
> 15 minutes of really interesting storytelling that Biella organized,
> where Ian, Bdale and others told stories of how Debian started. It was
> mesmerizing to be there, and the video captures quite a few
> interesting parts of it, but no-one ever got around to editing
> anything out of it.

Remember that it doesn't have to be done this year. If we gather
snippets here and there, then we will have a video library to draw from
when someone does step up to do it.

In order to make all this light-weight, I suggest we do record on tape
and during DebConf we will probably have a chance to sit down and think
about where the tapes can be stored safely and how we can provide the
material if and when someone does want to do something with it.

--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>