On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 02:49:02AM -0300, Helen Koike wrote: > On 9/8/18 2:19 AM, Helen Koike wrote: > > > > > > On 9/2/18 4:13 AM, Daniel Lange wrote: > >> Hi Helen, > >> > >> Am 02.09.2018 um 01:46 schrieb Helen Koike: > >>> The problem is if a company pays R*2000, and then the market exchange > >>> rate decreases below R, could we return the difference to the company > >>> latter (when we close the date for new sponsors) ? > >>> We would like to avoid cases where the companies wait the currency > >>> exchange rate to decrease and holds the payment to the last minute (as > >>> the rate varies a lot in Brazil). > >> > >> Technically there is no reason why you could not refund a currency > >> advantage that you have received. But you cross annual years and - at > >> many companies and probably your local organization - fiscal years so > >> that has tax implications which makes such a solution a bit annoying. > >> > >> You could offer a (e.g.) 20% discount to _local_ companies paying in > >> Reais within (e.g.) 2 weeks of the invoice date. > > > > I see, but would it be ok to add this discount condition it in the > > brochure? Because I am wondering if companies could just wait to ask for > > the invoice to wait the exchange rate to vary (or maybe not). > > > >> > >> That way there is an incentive to pay immediately, a reduction of their > >> interest to gamble the currency and an advantage to local companies > >> within all sponsors tiers. The latter was something we discussed in > >> Hsinchu as some of your team were expecting not too many Brazilian > >> companies can/want to afford the higher sponsorship tiers. > >> > >> Best regards, > >> Daniel > >> > > > > Options I can think of, for Brazilian companies only: > > > > 1) Fix at a safe low rate (e.g. 3) without a refund option > > 2) Fix at a medium safe medium rate (e.g. 3.5? 3.8?) without a refund option > > 3) Fix at a closer rate we have today (e.g. 4) and refund the companies > > if the rate goes down (which seems complex due to the reason previously > > mentioned) > > 4) Fix at a closer rate we have today (e.g. 4) and give a discount (e.g. > > 20%? 15%?) if the company pays in 2 weeks after the invoice date and do > > not give a refund option > > > > Another info that might be useful, according to google, in the last year > > the rate went from 3.06 to 4.06 (a variation of 25%). > > > > I also talked with some people who organized an event with around 1600 > > participants in 2011 Brazil and a owner of a medium sized company. They > > told me that they asked from 20k to 60K BRL (which is closer to a > > rate=3), but the companies were already familiar with the conference, I > > am not sure if big companies in Brazil are familiar with Debian/DebConf. > > > > Any thoughts? I think I would vote for 2 or 4, actually I think option 2 > > is easier to manage, but option 4 has the advantage to make the > > companies to pay faster, which seem great, but still not sure. > > > > Thanks > > Helen > > > > Another thing to consider (there was some discussion regarding this in > irc), the presidential elections is going to happen on Oct 7, 2018 – Oct > 28, 2018, and with this, the exchange rate might bounce a bit. > > So, we were wondering what do you think if we start first with the > international sponsorship and just take the decision on the exchange > rate after at least the first round of the election? (Thanks Paulo for > this suggestion) > > We can start fundraising in USD right now, then we can take the decision > on the BRL rate a month from now, what do you think? IMO we might be overthinking this. Whatever exchange rate we decide to use now, or in one month, or after the elections are finished, will probably be wrong by the time sponsors actually pay. So I would rather choose a strategy to deal with future fluctuations *now*, even if that strategy is "do nothing about it", and start talking to companies ASAP. It's very hard to predict the future of the financial market, and any argument we have now for either direction is just guesswork. IMO we should pick 1 USD = 4 BRL, give a 10% discount (making it 3.6) if paid withing 2 weeks of the invoice date.
Description: PGP signature