Re: Photo policy for DebConf

Hi!

micah anderson:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 04, 2018 at 04:56:00AM +0000, Ulrike Uhlig wrote:
>>> Furthermore, I would like to see a policy in which BoFs may be
>>> explicitly choses by the participants to be no-photo zones, on top of
>>> being marked as "non-recorded".
>>
>> No.
>
> Yes.
>
>> Anything which requires a photographer to check a list at the moment of
>> the photo just does not work. A good photo often can only be taken in a
>> split second; to have to check a list if person X is happy with it, or
>> if the event in room Y at time Z is okay would kill the moment.
>
> You don't need a list. You can just say "Anyone mind if I take photos?"
> and if nobody minds, then you are fine. Its really easy. Overengineering
> this process, with lists, lanyards and no-photo zones is absurd, you
> simply need to use old-fashioned human communication.
>
> I've been to many events where this is the policy and it is not
> complicated, and not a burden on the photographer. Its as simple as
> communicating between humans.

That was my initial idea too. But I understand photographers and amateur
photographers want a clear process without having to ask each time, and
I'm fine with that.

The lanyard + a "no photo hacklab zone" seem like being quite simple to
implement.

The idea with the lanyard is also that everybody who participates in the
conference has to retrieve their own lanyard and when they do so they
are being made aware of the existence of the color code which I think is
a great and simple way to make it clear that some people do not want to
be photographed by random photographers without consent.

:)

Cheers,
Ulrike