Re: Photo policy for DebConf

On Sat, Aug 04, 2018 at 03:38:29PM -0400, micah anderson wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 04, 2018 at 04:56:00AM +0000, Ulrike Uhlig wrote:
> >> Furthermore, I would like to see a policy in which BoFs may be
> >> explicitly choses by the participants to be no-photo zones, on top of
> >> being marked as "non-recorded".
> >
> > No.
>
> Yes.

No.

> > Anything which requires a photographer to check a list at the moment of
> > the photo just does not work. A good photo often can only be taken in a
> > split second; to have to check a list if person X is happy with it, or
> > if the event in room Y at time Z is okay would kill the moment.
>
> You don't need a list. You can just say "Anyone mind if I take photos?"

That I can agree with, but that is not what was being suggested above.

Let me make absolutely clear: I do not agree that photos should be
allowed to be taken of people without consent. That is... horrible. If
the rule is "you must always explicitly ask for consent before taking a
photo", then fine, that is a reasonable rule. It wouldn't work for me
(because the photos I like to take require that the subject does not
know he/she is being photographed, and that doesn't work if you must ask
consent first), but it is a reasonable rule, and I would abide by it (if
only by leaving my camera at home).

But that is not what Ulrike was suggesting.

> and if nobody minds, then you are fine. Its really easy. Overengineering
> this process, with lists, lanyards and no-photo zones is absurd, you
> simply need to use old-fashioned human communication.

Lanyards allow for consent to be given in an implicit way, and allow for
the kind of unexpected photos that I like to take, without encroaching
on the personal preference of people who would prefer not to be
photographed.

I think it is an excellent compromise between both sides of the
argument.

> I've been to many events where this is the policy and it is not
> complicated, and not a burden on the photographer. Its as simple as
> communicating between humans.

Sure, but it is a pity for certain options -- and it is not what was
being suggested earlier, and which is the thing I was saying "no" to.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab