DebConf18 meeting minutes @FOSDEM2018

Dear DebConf team members,

  During FOSDEM 2018, some of us gather and discuss DebConf18, I have
put some notes together, please feel free to edit them as you see fit.

  Source: https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/debconf_fosdem2018

= FOSDEM 2018 meeting =

Attendees: Nattie, Stefano, Nicoo, Andrew Lee, Héctor Orón, Kyle (paddatrapper)

== Context ==

Very informal meeting in real life happened during 2018, item topics in agenda:
0-6 were discussed among participats,
7-final were discussed between Héctor and Andrew over dinner time, as sadly we
run out of time, and we were kindly kicked out from FOSDEM, so they could
close the venue.

== Disclaimer ==

Please take them as a guideline, but few actions are to be taken, and few
areas have ownership assigned. Please let me know either if you can take on it
or not. Also if you feel like you have no time or the task is difficult for
you, please also let me now ASAP.

As the email might be quite long, I have assigned ownership in agenda items,
if you are listed, be sure to read such entry.

== Agenda ==

0. Video team support (global: paddatrapper, stefano; local: Mwei)
1. Registration (global: stefano, local:  MWei)
2. Accomodation (global: TBD, local: czchen)
3. Food/Vegan options (global: Nattie, local: Dan Jacobson)
5. Typhoon plan (local: czchen)
6. Open Day (global: Nicoo, local: Héctor, SZLin, AndrewLee)
7. Publicity/Press (global: larjona, local: SZLin)
8. FOSSASIA 2018 to promote DebConf18 (D.Pocock, Mario, Hong Phuc,
Héctor, Andrew Lee)
9. DebCamp (Paul Liu, czchen)
10. Social
10.1 C&W (AndrewLee)
10.2 Key signing (anibal?)
10.3 Free Beer tasting night (AndrewLee)
10.5 Running bar drinks in Hacklab (AndrewLee)
10.6 Merchandising (Mwei)
11. Day Trip (local: TBD, supporters: Dan Jacobson, Steven Shiau)
12. Advice for presenters (TBD)
15. Final report (local: mwei, czchen, paulliu, szlin, ...)
16. Front desk (global: Nattie)
17. Infrastructure (NOC) (local: czchen)
18. FAQ (local: TBD)
19. Visa (local: TBD)
20. Welcome page (szlin, delib?)
21. Fun & free time (Dan Jacobson?)
22. Travel coordination (?)
23. Catering and food (szlin, mwei, andrew)
24. Accomodation (czchen)
25. Wiki content documentation
26. Childcare
27. Job fair (czchen)

== Meeting Minutes ==

0. Video team support (global: paddatrapper, stefano; local: Mwei)
  - paddatrapper is going to do checklist of items video team needs
    to be passed to local team member to work on it.
  - budget in shipping video hardware to Taiwan.
  - take presentation room pictures
    - we need to know where is electrical power plugs (take a pic)
    - we need to know audio/video (A/V) room setup (take a pic)
  - 10TB storage for videos (10 Gbps link)
  - Server for encoding (>= 24 cores, VM ok)
  - Each room should have:
    - Computer that allow 2 PCIe cards:
      - 1 TB storage
      - CPU >= i5 (< 4 years old)
    - Machine for capturing speaker presentation
      - it could be a little device (minnowboard, intel NUC, etc.)
    - Video team to access talk rooms 3 or 4 days before DebConf
starts (during DebCamp is OK)
    - Very early talk to university networking admins, we need:
      - Own DebConf ESSID
      - NAT/DNS/Public IP block (video streams), (/28 should be fine)
      - Attendee network
      - Videoteam network, connected to:
          - each presentation room
          - NOC (video HQ)
          - server room
          (setup was documented for dc16 somewhere)

1. Registration (global: stefano, local: paulliu, czchen)
   - Registration to be opened during SnowCamp (dates)
   - Get site online (pending on DSA ticket, already done)
   - Collect money for paid attendees
     - Use Paypal SPI (USD), Paypal Debian France (EUR)
   - [**URGENT: paulliu, czchen**]
     Find food (breakfast/lunch/dinner) and accomodation costs guesstimates to
     get pricing in the online registration forms.

2. Accomodation (global: TBD, local: czchen)
   - Take pictures of the rooms
   - Options for sharing couples (shared rooms)
   - Family options (couple + kids)
   - Hotel options
   - Accessibility documentation

3. Food/Vegan options (global: Nattie, local: Dan Jacobson)
   - Get Nattie and Dan in contact so they can discuss further

5. Typhoon plan (local: czchen)
   - Need to make sure venue still running if national holiday is declared
     (by contract)
   - Need to plan indoor alternative activities
     - karaoke
     - running bar drinks
     - food supply
     - internet game (steam?)
   - In case of typhoon might not be safe to go from accomodation to venue
     We could prepare computer games? Streaming on the dorms? Ideas?
   - See https://lists.debian.org/debconf-team/2018/02/msg00006.html

6. Open Day (global: Nicoo, local: Héctor, SZLin, AndrewLee)
   - Invite local English and/or Mandarin speakers (from all over Asia)
   - Add item in the budget for speaker sponsorship
   - CfP already in salsa.d.o (add Open Day blurb
https://salsa.debian.org/debconf-team/dc18.dc.o/issues/10 )
   - Scope: FOSS, Social, how to become Debian contributor, how people
using Debian in Taiwan/Asia, local projects in Debian, etc..
   - Potential speakers: Dan Jacobson, Mwei, Hideki, Mario/Hong Phuc,
PCMan, Steven Shiau, Arne Goetje, AndrewLee...

7. Publicity/Press (global: TBD, local: SZLin)
   - Banners need to be made with sponsors logo (3 rooms)
     - Each room must have at least 2 pop-up banners, 1 podium
   - Announcing DC18 in local media (SZLin)
   - Make stickers (MWei)

8. FOSSASIA 2018 (D.Pocock, Mario, Hong Phuc, Héctor, AndrewLee)
   - Run Debian booth within FOSSASIA 2018 event promoting DebConf 18
and look for potential speakers in Open Day.

9. DebCamp (Paul Liu, czchen)
   - Make sure venue is ready for team work
   - Assist video team requirements
   - Assist front desk requirements
   - Assist infrastructure/network (NOC) requirements
   - Coffee & Tea

10. Social
10.1 C&W (AndrewLee)
     - Find suitable space in venue
     - Prepare list with cheese names and flag with country info
     - Find sharp knifes to cut cheese and build up a team to help
       on preparations
     - Prepare glasses and dishes, plus table decorations
     - Organize clean up

10.2 Key signing (anibal?)
     - Explain key signing to new comers
     - Execute key signing

10.3 Free Beer tasting night (AndrewLee)
     - Invite brewers
     - Prepare glasses
     - Organize cleanup

10.5 Running bar drinks in Hacklab (AndrewLee)
     - Select beer from local breweries and rebrand to DebConf beer.
     - Need to look for service provider or discuss how to pay this if it needs

10.6 Merchandising (Mwei)
     - Prepare badgers artwork with names, signing key #, food alternatives.
     - Prepare signs in English/Madarin explaining common topcis:
         i.e. 我吃全素,不吃蛋,不喝牛奶。-> "me eat full vegi, not eat egg, not
drink cow milk"
     - Prepare food vouchers, beer vouchers(?)

11. Day Trip (local: TBD, supporters: Dan Jacobson, Steven Shiau)
    - File up wiki with options

12. Advice for presenters (local: TBD,supporter: Dan Jacobson)
    - File up wiki with warnings

15. Final report (local: mwei, czchen, paulliu, szlin, ...)
    - Start gathering info and stats and document early so less work
      towards end of conference.

16. Front desk (global: Nattie)
    - Pending to discuss

17. Infrastructure (NOC) (local: czchen)
    - Pending to discuss

18. FAQ (local: TBD)
    - Pending to discuss

19. Visa (local: TBD)
    - Pending to discuss

20. Welcome page (szlin, delib?)
    - Pending to discuss

21. Fun & free time (Dan Jacobson?)
    - Pending to discuss

22. Travel coordination (?)
    - Pending to discuss

23. Catering and food (SZLin, AndrewLee?)
    - Pending to discuss

24. Accomodation (czchen?)
    - Pending to discuss

25. Wiki content documentation
    - Pending to discuss

26. Childcare (?)
    - Pending to discuss

27. Job fair (czchen)
    - Pending to discuss

Best regards,
--

<free spam>

-- Would you like to make a donation towards the upcoming Debian conference?
   Brochure: https://media.debconf.org/dc18/fundraising/debconf18_sponsorship_brochure_en.pdf

   ** https://debconf18.debconf.org/sponsors/become-a-sponsor/ **

</free spam>