Re: [Debconf-team] Suggestion for DC17+ fundraising brochure: advertising service vs. ad space

also sprach Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> [2016-04-12 09:56 +0200]:
> I don't think we ever sell logo space to sponsors, …

You're obviously free to disagree and assume a different view of
what we're doing, but please don't stop other people's efforts just
because you don't see their value.

Numerous sponsors have been asking specifics about the services we
offer, including the number of video viewers, website impressions,
attendance and length of job fair, etc.. I am proposing that we
should provide this information up front, which happens to match the
advice from experienced fundraisers, and I would not be surprised if
that actually translated to more money raised for the organisation
of DebConf and travel sponsorship.

We are not in the business of collecting donations from companies.
If you're not convinced, take a look at our brochure and keep in
mind that we send invoices to sponsors, which they then pay. By
definition then, their contributions are not donations. We are
fundraising and selling services to sponsors, and this is what our
sponsors want and why they give us money. As Debian we do enjoy
a somewhat special treatment and don't get treated with the same
sort of rigour applicable in other contractual situations.

But this isn't a reason why we shouldn't (always) strive to improve
what we're doing. Please don't stand in the way just because you
prefer to look at things differently.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf16: Cape Town: http://debconf16.debconf.org