Re: [Debconf-team] Suggestion for DC17+ fundraising brochure: advertising service vs. ad space

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 09:56:58AM +0200, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> I don't think we ever sell logo space to sponsors, so IMHO, the
> assumptions are wrong.
>

> For many sponsors, we are offering them to sponsor/to donate to Debian
> (the "give back") so that Debian is healthy and continues to provide
> excellent software to everyone (which is important for many big companies).
>
> Additionally, as you demonstrated on DC15, they are very interested also
> on Debian people (to offer them jobs), so IMHO offering number of
> impressions will dilute much of our strengths.  We are really not
> looking to increase logo impressions (with random users), but we are
> targeting mostly our contributors (so "few", but very selected group).

I fully agree with what cate said here.

That said, I also agree with madducks point:

> > The most common mistake in fundraising (which we also make) is to
> > sell advertising space ("logo on website"), rather than to sell the
> > service ("logo on website, 1,234 unique visitors /month").

So I also think collecting these numbers is useful, _but_ we need to use
them in the way cate suggested. And then use them as _one_ of the many
benefits of sponsoring DebConf.

--
cheers,
	Holger