Re: [Debconf-team] Question to Cape Town team: transportation to/from the venue

Hi Martín (2015.01.27_17:14:51_+0200)
> I meant that many people like to go exploring after the talks are over,
> maybe to sample the local beer production, or to have dinner in a nice
> restaurant, etc.

There are many options in town, but as Bernelle said, also scattered all
over the rest of the city. Cape Town has a phenomenal number of
restaurants to choose from. The brewery that's worth visiting is fairly
close by (probably not walkable, but a €2-3 taxi ride away)
http://devilspeakbrewing.co.za/taproom/

> > amenities (Cape Town team please correct me or elaborate?). The
> > university campus is also walking distance from amenities, getting back
> > to the venue just has a steep uphill. It's just getting to town proper
>
> I was checking the maps, and I don't seem to find many amenities around
> campus. There seems to be a couple of fast food places in Main rd, but
> that's the only I've found, and it is 1.3km from the venue... Is there
> more stuff that I am missing? Is there some kind of village nearby?

OpenStreetmap's street coverage of Cape Town is very good (thanks to
open government data), but the business coverage isn't. Google street
view might give you a better idea.

Basically, the section of Main road from Rustenburg Avenue through to
Rosendale Road is the local "village". There are a couple of pubs,
probably 10 places that serve food, and 3 major supermarkets.
Many students find everything they need in this area.

After that, things start getting a bit more spread out again, but you'll
find food, bars, and shops scattered along the whole of Main Road.

There's another (smaller) cluster about 6 blocks south on Main Road
(after passing couple of things on the way), where Main Street meets
Dean Street. And again, when Main Street crosses Kildare.

And a huge shopping centre south of that - Cavendish Square. It has some
restaurants around it.

If you were to have walked North along Main Road, instead, after
crossing the N2 (Settler's way) Lower Main Road breaks off to the right.
This has restaurants and bars all the way down it, to Station Road.

There's a lot around. Not all in the immediate vicinity, but quite
walkable. And a very cheap taxi ride away.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/