Re: [Debconf-team] Question to Cape Town team: transportation to/from the venue

Hi Richard

That is correct. People tend to not want to take any form of public transport after dark in South Africa. Students usually drive here or share private taxis back.

We did obtain quotes for 'dinner shuttles' - 14 seater buses to be used ad hoc, see
https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/Bids/Cape_Town/Potential_Venues#Transport_jottings

This may be a weak point of this venue, but at any other venue we would have to organise transport after dark as well, and possibly right through the day too.

I did get the idea from the UCT Jammie person that we could arrange extra trips at an additional cost. We will compare that cost to the quotes we already obtained from the private coach companies.

regards

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Martín Ferrari <tincho@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Bernelle,

On 26/01/15 17:38, Bernelle Verster wrote:

> https://www.uct.ac.za/students/services/jammie/maps/vac/
>
> The one to town is to the Hiddingh campus.
>
> This is currently the holiday schedule until 31 January so gives you a
> good idea of off peak times.

If I read correctly, this means that the last bus leaves town at 6 on
weekdays, and that there are no afternoon/evening buses on the weekend.

So, no chance of going to town for shopping, sight-seeing, or just
grabbing a beer without the need for a taxi back.

I presume students usually drive?

IMHO, this is a critically weak point of that venue.

--
Martín Ferrari (Tincho)