Re: [Debconf-team] Question to Cape Town team: transportation to/from the venue

Hi again, Bernelle :)

> > > We did obtain quotes for 'dinner shuttles' - 14 seater buses to be used
> > > ad hoc, see
> > >
> > https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/Bids/Cape_Town/Potential_Venues#Transport_jottings
> >
> > Right, but I worry more about the daily trips that attendees will make.
> >
> It would be silly to stay in town and commute daily to the debconf venue,
> in my opinion... We are only considering venues with very close
> accommodation.

There's always a group of people who choose to stay in a "fancier"
hotel than what most of the sponsored attendees get. Would they be
able to stay nearer the venue?

> > > This may be a weak point of this venue, but at any other venue we would
> > > have to organise transport after dark as well, and possibly right
> > > through the day too.
> >
> > Oh. I understood that the other venue option would be of walking
> > distance of most amenities. Can you elaborate on this?
>
>  I think there might be a perception here that town is where most is
> happening, which I think is not necessarily the case. Cape Town, as most of
> South Africa, has extensive urban sprawl, and the places to hang out are
> clustered in suburbs. Every suburb has it's 'feel' and it's famous eateries
> and attractions. So all venues will have walking distance amenities (Cape
> Town team please correct me or elaborate?). The university campus is also
> walking distance from amenities, getting back to the venue just has a steep
> uphill. It's just getting to town proper that is a bit more of a mission.
> In my personal view, town is a touristy thing or a weekend-ey thing to do,
> and to do once and once only.
>
> I think from a long ago discussion we're more similar to the US in our
> urban design than Europe, but may be completely off the ball here.

OK, this is an important point which I think slipped for most of us. I
also had the understanding this campus was basically set away from
everything. If there are enough amenities to keep people happy and
entertained, the need to go downtown will be much diminished. Maybe,
yes, we could organize a (or some) night group trip to the downtown,
as we also have the right to see the touristy stuff ;-)