Re: [Debconf-team] sponsored meal projections?

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 09:50:35AM +0200, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> Because of 100 additional meals, I think we are save with your estimates
> (or these 100 should include all attendees, also non sponsored one?).
> Just adding some comments to help also dc15 calculations.

I believe the 100 may be padding for the whole dining facility, not just for
sponsored attendees.  As discussed in yesterday's IRC meeting, PSU gave me
an updated padding figure of "50-60".  We are still well under that with
respect to sponsored attendees, since 60 people is more than 50% of our max
daily sponsored attendance.

> On 12.08.2014 06:46, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I think that, because this DebConf is in an urban setting with lots of other
> > food options around, our sponsored attendees will tend to "undersubscribe"
> > to the sponsored food.  The PSU folks agree, and have suggested a guideline
> > of committing to 15-20% less than our total sponsored count.

> I'm not so sure. There is a social pressure not to go outside: "I asked
> sponsorship because I have no money, so eating outside could affect my
> future sponsorship...".

This is true, but the reality is that at least some people will eat outside
the sponsored food at least some of the time.

> OTOH it depends also on quality of food at PSU (but at NYC there was
> anyway not so much people eating outside, especially people staying in
> or near the venues).

There were certainly a lot of people eating outside the venue in NYC,
because there was a lot of good food to be found.  It's likely that these
were primarily non-sponsored attendees, however.

For the record, though, we've had one sponsored attendee explicitly try to
exclude himself from the sponsored count for breakfast and dinner because he
knows he won't eat those meals on campus.  If improved modeling of
attendees' dining preferences enables them to enjoy the local cuisine
off-site without feeling guilty about it, that's also a good thing.

> I think on lunch most of sponsored people will eat at the venue (>95%),
> at evening maybe fewer people (but I think people will skip max 1 or 2
> dinners, so 80% to 90% sponsored attendees eating at the venue).

The difference between 85% and 95% eating at the venue is an additional 10
people, well within our margin.  So we're safe to use the lower number, and
we want to avoid overestimating to reduce our costs.

Anyway, I've pushed the numbers from my previous mail to PSU now.  To be
precise, I'm asking them for:

Dinner on August 20 to lunch on August 21:  5
Dinner on August 22-26, 28-31:             72
Brunch/Lunch on August 23-26, 28-31:       81
Breakfast on Aug 25-26, 28-29:             72
Breakfast and Lunch on Sep 1:              60
Dinner on August 27:                        0, credit conference for self-paid meal plans
Lunch on August 27:                        10, with 190 sack lunches
Breakfast on August 27:                    50, with 25 to-go breakfasts (NOT FINAL)

(This assumes that they're willing to serve us all the meals that we have
asked for, without charging us for extra - their normal meal plans are
breakfast/lunch/dinner by calendar day, which is obviously stupid and
designed to pad the contractor's wallet.  I'm awaiting confirmation that
this plan is workable.)

Thanks,