Re: [Debconf-team] A proposal about scheduling for DC14

[No need to CC me; I do read the debconf lists even if I'm a rare
 poster]

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 11:31:51PM +0200, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM, Jonathan McDowell <noodles@earth.li> wrote:
>
> > Fri, August 22:         Arrival day. Dorm check in available after noon.
> >                         Minimal hacklabs. No talks.
> > Sat, August 23:         First day of conference. Opening immediately after
> >                         brunch. Slots for 4 talks afterwards (inc DPL).
> > Sun, August 24:         Full day of talks; start post brunch, 15 slots.
> > Mon, August 25:         Full day of talks. 18 slots.
> > Tue, August 26:         Full day of talks. 18 slots.
> > Wed, August 27:         Day trip
> > Thu, August 28:         Hack day. BOFs either side of lunch (6 slots).
> > Fri, August 29:         Hack day. BOFs either side of lunch (6 slots).
> > Sat, August 30:         Hack day. BOFs post brunch (3 slots).
> > Sun, August 31:         Last day of conference. Post brunch lightning
> >                         talks (1hr30?), closing plenary, done by 4pm.
> >                         Hacklabs open.
> > Mon, September 1:       Leaving day. No hacklabs, leave rooms by noon.
>
> Unless there's a hard need for three hack days in a row, why not
> intermix the two a bit? Having two distinct blocks feels weird, to me.

AJ's point, which I think is valid, is that if you get into deep hack
mode you don't really want to be interrupted by talks. There's some
leeway for the talks team to decide what exactly would count as a BOF
but I think that having a run of days set aside for getting practical
stuff talked about and done is a worthwhile experiment.

J.

--
Revd Jonathan McDowell, ULC | Stand by stomach, here comes banana...