Re: [Debconf-team] DC14 C&W venue status

In the case of PuppetLabs we would probably not have servers in the past when private events have been there its always been serve yourself. In the case of the OSCON parties which they open to the public those usually have a server.

Since we would be facilitating cheese and wine I don't think we would need a server.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM, tony mancill <tmancill@debian.org> wrote:
On 02/24/2014 05:14 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:
> Gerald Turner <gturner@unzane.com> writes:
>> Benjamin Kerensa <bkerensa@ubuntu.com> writes:
>>> Are we not moving forward with PuppetLabs for the C&W Party? They
>>> have already offered us their space to use for a party and since it
>>> will be at no cost imho it should be our first choice.
>>
>> Yes we are, sorry for the delay — I'll get an email out to Puppet Labs
>> *now*, introduce myself, hopefully evoke memory of the conversation
>> had with Steve Langasek and work out the details.
>
> So I've been in touch with Briana de Jong, the Events Marketing Manager
> at Puppet Labs.  As Steve and Benjamin pointed out, they're quite
> willing to host us, great!
>
> Some bad news though, I asked about alcohol polciy and here's what
> Briana had to say:
>
> Briana de Jong <briana@puppetlabs.com> writes:
>> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Gerald Turner <gturner@unzane.com> wrote:
>>> BTW, I spent a few days working with Portland's Bureau of Parks and
>>> Recreation and also rental at the Eliot Center, in all cases rules
>>> about curfew/closing-time and self-serving alcohol were major
>>> barriers.  Are we okay there?
>>>
>> The laws in Oregon are pretty strict on self-serve alcohol, basically
>> they don't allow it over 1 oz.  I don't mind paying for some servers
>> to be here, but that would not allow us to have the wine with the
>> cheese unless we did some tasting cups in the 1oz portion next to the
>> cheese.  The only other option would be for us to have a bar with
>> servers behind it and they would serve all alcohol.
>
> Ugh... sorry folks, I think we're out of options for a free-flowing
> alcohol environment unless we do something drastic like bus out to the
> countryside.
>
> If we proceed with Puppet Labs, we should commit to a date.  Is Monday
> August 25th good?  I asked about Sunday, Puppet Labs isn't open on the
> weekends.

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for working on this.  I think we'd have OLCC issues (for those
not from this area, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission) anywhere (even
in the countryside), so having servers at a private event at Puppet Labs
seems like the most preferable option.  (And my 0.02, I'd rather bring
my glass to a server and ask for a pour than have a 1oz./30mL in a
little sample cup.)  If we spread the servers around to several tables
and interleave those with multiple cheese tables, it should be a nice party.

Cheers,
tony

Disclaimer:  The only C&W party I've attended was at Debconf10, so
perhaps I didn't experience the full potential of self-serve C&W, but
having servers there wouldn't have been an issue for me.

--
Benjamin Kerensa
http://benjaminkerensa.com