Re: [Debconf-team] DC14 C&W venue status

On 02/24/2014 05:14 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:
> Gerald Turner <gturner@unzane.com> writes:
>> Benjamin Kerensa <bkerensa@ubuntu.com> writes:
>>> Are we not moving forward with PuppetLabs for the C&W Party? They
>>> have already offered us their space to use for a party and since it
>>> will be at no cost imho it should be our first choice.
>>
>> Yes we are, sorry for the delay — I'll get an email out to Puppet Labs
>> *now*, introduce myself, hopefully evoke memory of the conversation
>> had with Steve Langasek and work out the details.
>
> So I've been in touch with Briana de Jong, the Events Marketing Manager
> at Puppet Labs.  As Steve and Benjamin pointed out, they're quite
> willing to host us, great!
>
> Some bad news though, I asked about alcohol polciy and here's what
> Briana had to say:
>
> Briana de Jong <briana@puppetlabs.com> writes:
>> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Gerald Turner <gturner@unzane.com> wrote:
>>> BTW, I spent a few days working with Portland's Bureau of Parks and
>>> Recreation and also rental at the Eliot Center, in all cases rules
>>> about curfew/closing-time and self-serving alcohol were major
>>> barriers.  Are we okay there?
>>>
>> The laws in Oregon are pretty strict on self-serve alcohol, basically
>> they don't allow it over 1 oz.  I don't mind paying for some servers
>> to be here, but that would not allow us to have the wine with the
>> cheese unless we did some tasting cups in the 1oz portion next to the
>> cheese.  The only other option would be for us to have a bar with
>> servers behind it and they would serve all alcohol.
>
> Ugh... sorry folks, I think we're out of options for a free-flowing
> alcohol environment unless we do something drastic like bus out to the
> countryside.
>
> If we proceed with Puppet Labs, we should commit to a date.  Is Monday
> August 25th good?  I asked about Sunday, Puppet Labs isn't open on the
> weekends.

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for working on this.  I think we'd have OLCC issues (for those
not from this area, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission) anywhere (even
in the countryside), so having servers at a private event at Puppet Labs
seems like the most preferable option.  (And my 0.02, I'd rather bring
my glass to a server and ask for a pour than have a 1oz./30mL in a
little sample cup.)  If we spread the servers around to several tables
and interleave those with multiple cheese tables, it should be a nice party.

Cheers,
tony

Disclaimer:  The only C&W party I've attended was at Debconf10, so
perhaps I didn't experience the full potential of self-serve C&W, but
having servers there wouldn't have been an issue for me.