Re: [Debconf-team] DC14 C&W venue status

Quoting tony mancill (tmancill@debian.org):

> Thanks for working on this.  I think we'd have OLCC issues (for those
> not from this area, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission) anywhere (even
> in the countryside), so having servers at a private event at Puppet Labs
> seems like the most preferable option.  (And my 0.02, I'd rather bring
> my glass to a server and ask for a pour than have a 1oz./30mL in a
> little sample cup.)  If we spread the servers around to several tables
> and interleave those with multiple cheese tables, it should be a nice party.

I agree that it sounds like the local policy will enforce some change
in the usual C&W "policy", yes.

Is there a way that the servers are "volunteer" servers? I think it
would better fit the spirit of the C&W if you could assemble a team of
5-10 volunteers for alcohol serving.

> Disclaimer:  The only C&W party I've attended was at Debconf10, so
> perhaps I didn't experience the full potential of self-serve C&W, but
> having servers there wouldn't have been an issue for me.

DC10 was a quite successful one and was indeed among the common
standards of many Debconf C&W. Its weaknesses were:
- being in a closed space that was a bit too small (not as small as
DC11, though) for the crowd
- being in a building that was not the standard Debconf location" (but
still very very very close so that was not a problem the C&W orga)
- not being accessible (my biggest shame ever for a C&W that Otavio
couldn't indeed attend....:-( )

Its strength were:
- wonderful help by the local team who dedicated someone to help me
arrange things (damn, I can't remember her name!)
- nice atmosphere with even people dancing and some other people
playing Mao in a nearby room
- great meetup with some of the Cheese and Wine Pionneers from DebConf
5

Back to the servers topic: we never had to do this but I'm fairly sure
it can work, particularly if a volunteers team can be built (probably with some
"training" about OLCC just to be sure you don't have trouble with
local authorities and the hosting place).