Re: [Debconf-team] Proposal for DebConf13's Debian Day

Raphaël Walther <raphael.walther@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Gaudenz,
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 02:06:04PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>> Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> writes:
> [...]
>> > OPEN QUESTION 1: the date.
> [...]
>
> Well, regarding the date I am not sure what is your suggestion. Even if
> it is arrival day, we don't need so much resources in term of man power
> at Debian Day mainly speakers and I will be there to coordinate. The
> rest of the team would stay working at Le Camp in my views. This event
> is not targeted toward Debian Developers or volunteers but for sponsors,
> users or people that haven't heard of Debian before.

I have no proposal, I just put up several alternatives for discussion.
I'd like to hear what other think about these alternatives. IMHO there
is no ideal date, each solution has it's drawbacks.

I don't think that the set of attendees for DebConf and DebianDay is
completely disjunct. Sure the target audience is differnt, but there is
overlap. And we certainly want some of the DebConf participants as
speakers on DebianDay.

I also doubt that you will be able to manage DebianDay just alone. Even
if everything is well prepared there is work to be done. And if we want
video coverage, the videoteam has to be there. Don't know if it's a
problem for them to do this on the arrival day. But some volunteers
might only arrive on that day.

>> > OPEN QUESTION 6: sponsor implication.
>> >
>> > The Canton of Neuchâtel being a gold sponsor for DebConf13, we thought
>> > that it was obvious to have it at the opening ceremony for DebianDay.
>> > However, what about the other sponsors?  Should we invite some of
>> > them?
>>
>> I'd send an invitation to attend to all of them. But I'd only offer a
>> presentation to platinum sponsors as promised in the sponsoring
>> brochure. The canton is a special case as we agreed that they can give a
>> short (10 min) presentation and IMO this is the best place for this
>> presentation.
>
> This is not what we have negociated with them. They want to talk to the
> attendees at the main conference. I have also invited them to Debian
> Day.

If that's really what they want then I'm fine. I just think that the
DebianDay participants are actually a better target audience to present
the canton than the DebConf attendees. I would present it to them like
"we think that this is the better opportunity for what you have in mind
(presenting the economical benefits of the canton)". If they still want
to come to Vaumarcus, I'm fine with that too.

Best,
Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.