Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf-discuss] what do we think we can do better for dc13? example: ruhrgebiet

Hello,

On 02.12.2012 13:58, Mònica Ramírez Arceda wrote:
Hi,

El dg 02 de 12 de 2012 a les 13:00 +0100, en/na Ana Guerrero va
escriure:
However, what I can not understand is the denial to look at other venues
by the localteam.

Although I'm not active in Debconf organization at all, I would like to
say my opinion about this discussion.

If it's not possible to find another option I can understand that we go
to Le Camp, although there will be people that won't come. But if there
are more options, why can't we consider them? This last option from Ana
seems fine to me.

The localteam looked at many other venues, several time during the process, some with biggest local sponsorship (like Lausanne), and it decided to Le Camp. We have not yet found other good options.

About Interlaken: it doesn't cost less (but we can pay them later), there are possibly some hidden additional costs (infrastructure), and I saw on list about other issues (handicap, distance), but I'm not sure if there are real issues.

Additionally there was the problem (which some people called "veto"). Many localteam members don't speak German, so we lose much of the manpower for local things. I'm sure that most of them will help DC anyway. So we need additional German speaking local-team members.

And a personal opinion:
I don't like the venue, with the common argument: "we (Debian Community) are getting older", so I prefer a better (and more expensive) room. OTOH Le Camp is an ideal place (cheap to reach from most of Europe) and "simple", to attract new young forces. If I get a similar offer when I was student, probably I would join Debian in advance, regardless to "sleep" in a big room.

ciao
	cate