[Debconf-team] what do we think we can do better for dc13? example: random venue

Hi,

I have shared this for IRC, but I'm told if it is not in the list it doesn't count.
And also not everybody has the time to follow by IRC.

It has been said a few times that le camp have the same standars that a youth hostel,
so I went to see how a swiss youth hostel looks like [1] and what possibilities they
offered. I evaluated quickly one of them: http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/st-moritz

If you look at the info provided in that page, the site looks nice, also look for
Google images of saint moritz. There is a lake, a forest and also mountains.
It is close to the nature with spectacular views. For me, it has the image of what
is sold from Switzerland.

The hostel provides 306 beds in rooms of 2 and 4 beds where people do not need to carry
sleeping bags or similar to sleep. Some of the room provide WC/shower inside (that also
are the expensiver ones). Rooms are big and they offer fourniture such as tables and chairs.
(see photos)
The place is also fully qualified for handicapped people, more info at:
http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/st-moritz/handicap

It provides plenty of common rooms we can use: 5 'day rooms', 2 games rooms and a big hall.
The only issue with the rooms is we lack of a big auditorium, the biggest room is similar
to the one we had in debconf8, this is balanced by the fact we can have plenty of small
hacklabs that provide working in group easier and also impromptu BOFs.

If you look at the sourrounding in Google Maps, you can see several hotels reachable by
foot. The youth hostel is not in the middle of the town, but in the exterior part (close
to the forest):
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Youth+Hostel+St.+Moritz+Bad,+Via+Surpunt,+Saint+Moritz,+Switzerland&aq=0&oq=youth+hostel+saint+moritz&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=47.028011,93.076172&vpsrc=6&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=Youth+Hostel+St.+Moritz+Bad,+Via+Surpunt,+Saint+Moritz,+Switzerland&hnear=&radius=15000&ll=46.489972,9.841604&spn=0.02021,0.045447&z=15

With a supermarket (and other shops) 1.3km away
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Youth+Hostel+St.+Moritz+Bad,+Via+Surpunt+60,+7500+St.+Moritz,+Switzerland&daddr=Via+dal+Bagn+20,+St.+Moritz,+Switzerland&hl=en&geocode=FYhexQIdmz2WACEYoBTkfCpekinRe7YjxX2DRzEYoBTkfCpekg%3BFbJlxQId0BKWAClncT1P6H2DRzG13Ra-9z_juw&aq=1&oq=Via+Surpunt+60,+7500+St.+Moritz,&sll=46.48846,9.84036&sspn=0.009366,0.022724&vpsrc=0&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=16

The place is a very popular destination for winter sports but it is less popular in summer
and therefore cheaper. With the group discount, we would get similar prices to le camp.
Saint Moritz is easily reachable by train from Zurich (one change of train) and I'm told
some parts of the trip are quite impressive. There is also an airport with regular flights
to some cities for those who can afford going directly to the place.

Other stuff that is very nice to have and we woudn't have in le camp:

- They offer a laundry room
- you can rent a bike directly in the hostel.
- Day trip could be done hiking around
- people with kids have a special "play area" in the hostel
- people who want to leave later or arrive early, can just reserve rooms separately and do it

You can read some reviews of the place at
http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Youthhostel-St-Moritz/St-Moritz/11139/reviews
>From people all over the world (this is people with very different expectatives)

More photos and reviews at http://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/jugendherberge-st-moritz.en.html?aid=311088

Another similar place I didn't took the time to research but looking similar is:
http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/davos

Ana

[1] Full list at http://youthhostel.ch/en