Re: [Debconf-team] what do we think we can do better for dc13? example: ruhrgebiet

Hi Thomas,

On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 06:18:28PM +0100, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Ana Guerrero:
> > It has been said a few times that le camp have the same standars that a
> > youth hostel, so I went to see how a swiss youth hostel looks like [1] and
> > what possibilities they offered. I evaluated quickly one of them:
> > http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/st-moritz
>
> Hi Ana,
>
> I also feel a bit worried about the current situation. I'm personally fine
> with le camp but I understand that many others have issues.
>
> I was looking for hotel prices in my home region[1] (Ruhr area, Germany) just
> for curiosity minutes before your email.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhr.2010
>
> Just by quickly searching the net I get quotes around 50 Euros/night in a 4-
> Star conference Hotel. I'm sure one can get much cheaper prices after a
> serious search and some negotiation for 200 people and a full week + 1 week
> debcamp and maybe only 3 or 2 stars.
>
> http://www.intergerma.de/tagungshotels/region-ruhrgebiet/
>
> For food prizes Germany beats Switzerland any day.

Thanks for proposing another alternatives.

> However I don't know how realistic it would be to switch countries at this
> point. Are there country sensitive sponsors by now?

Yes, there are some sponsors confirmed or being contacted that would probably
not sponsor if DebConf were held out of Switzerland. However, I don't expect
that to affect to our two confirmed platinum sponsors that are the biggest
part of our pledged money amount so far.

On the other side, I think that something everybody seems to agree is in
having DebConf in Switzerland. I'm told the local team is willing to continue
working in organising DebConf even if we changed the venue, although some
people would contribute less (something I understand).

However, what I can not understand is the denial to look at other venues
by the localteam. Or all the negative comments and insulting attitude
towards somebody who decided to explore possibilities by *some* members
from the localteam and the globalteam.