Re: [Debconf-team] Regarding DebConf13 planned location

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:12:13AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 02:37:30PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Whether the money is being put to good use for Debian is precisely the
> > question that's being raised, AIUI.
> […]
> > We need decisive and timely leadership here, and that has "DPL"
> > written all over it.  Sorry, Zack, but the buck stops with you.

> I'm the one who proposed the DebConf budget approval process in the
> first place. I've been criticized for that idea but helt to it, because
> I think it's the right thing™ to do.

The criticism hasn't been from me.  It is the right thing to do, and I
applaud you for it.

> I'd say "yes" if and only if we can afford it and if I think the odds are
> good that those money will benefit Debian.  Nothing more, nothing less.

This is precisely what I expect - with the clarification that I would expect
you to consider the opportunity cost of spending Debian resources this way,
not just whether Debian will get some benefit from the event when considered
locally.

E.g. (note, numbers are *entirely hypothetical*): if the event costs
$1,000,000 and the team promises they can raise earmarked sponsorship of
$900,000, so that Debian is only responsible for net $100,000; but Debian
only gets $40,000 total value from it; then this is a net loss for Debian.
It's important to recognize this as a -$60,000 proposition, not a $40,000
one.

If you disagree with this formulation, please let me know.