Re: [Debconf-team] Regarding DebConf13 planned location

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 02:37:30PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Whether the money is being put to good use for Debian is precisely the
> question that's being raised, AIUI.
[…]
> We need decisive and timely leadership here, and that has "DPL"
> written all over it.  Sorry, Zack, but the buck stops with you.

I'm the one who proposed the DebConf budget approval process in the
first place. I've been criticized for that idea but helt to it, because
I think it's the right thing™ to do. This year might be the first time
we manage to implement it in full, with the needed timing [1]. If you
think I now want to walk away from that decision, you're far off.

But at the same time, if you expect me to answer "no" to a budget
proposal because, say, I don't *like* a DebConf location and I think a
different one would be better, you're far off too. I'd say "yes" if and
only if we can afford it and if I think the odds are good that those
money will benefit Debian. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers.

[1] "might", because I haven't seen a budget submitted to me, yet; and I
*am* worried by people expectations that I'll be available 24/7 to
timely answer such a query
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .