Re: [Debconf-team] Thoughts on changing "Permanent sponsors" to a more descriptive "Hosting sponsors"?

Hi

Im not unhappy with them "being shoved down to the bottom", I'm unhappy with them being exiled to a "oh, we also have those over there page",
basically communicating "we don't value it (IMO)".
OK, when I said normalize, I don't believe there was a consensus to
"hide" these sponsors, just to make sure their placement more
accurately reflect the value of the sponsorships. I think we are
potentially close to agreement.

Probably.

My answer is that, if you can, you please get us some money. But if you
say outright you can or will not (like just happened), and we have a
need, then I am more than happy to take a permanent sponsor, instead of
nothing.
I think their are two problems here (I list proposed resolutions as well): 1) At least to my American eyes the term "Permanent sponsors" seems to imply
they these are our "best" sponsors, and many potential sponsors would
very much like to be designated as such. I think we could resolve this by
categorizing these sponsors into a more descriptive categories, e.g.
Hosting/Infrastructure sponsors,
media sponsors and such.

I'm not against renaming, and "Infrastructure" or "Hosting" does fit.

2) At least on debconf13.debconf.org, these sponsors currently take up
more screen real estate and are featured in a more centrally located
position. IE: They are front and center while the financial sponsors
are sidebarred. This point I think we can address by sidebarring all
sponsors with the following ranked tiers:

Now that is due to DC13 not having any content and not a fault of the placement
in general.
"This site is currently under construction"...

Maybe it should get filled up with text, imagine it similar to DC12, and it would
be much different.

    - Platinum
    - Gold
    - Silver
    - Bronze
    - Infrastructure
    - Media
    - Logistics (not sure the exact right term for SPI and FFIS)

That also works. It got down to the bottom, iirc, as that makes them different to the rest, ie "much further down" - provided the site has content. Instead of
"up with the rest".

This still leaves the issue on www.debconf.org, where no financial
sponsors are listed, even though some have probably given us upwards
of 6-figure cumulative donations over the years. Would it be too much
work to replicate the above changes to the main DebConf site? (Or some
variant?)

It's an svn commit away. :)

I think we might still want to leave open the option to put
Infastructure/Media sponsors into "Metal" tiers as well, if their
equivalent annual value was deemed equal to what the financial
sponsors were providing. (And if they fall short perhaps we can give
them the option to pay the difference to get benefits of a higher
sponsorship level?)

Don't they have that already? Assume one of them comes up with "we sponsor an additional X thousand euros", I would expect them to (also?) get a logo in
whichever level that is.

I'll bet if we put out the word we could get close to 100 companies
interested in becoming hosting sponsors, under the current placement
and "Permanent" naming we are providing.

Yes, but we don't take them. We do have the ones currently because we had need, and in some weeks time one of them probably gets out of there (in replace for one
just joined).

Can we find a common ground?

Oh sure.

--