Re: [Debconf-team] Thoughts on changing "Permanent sponsors" to a more descriptive "Hosting sponsors"?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debconf.org> wrote:
> On 13031 March 1977, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>
>>> We also felt that somehow we should normalize the placement of these
>>> sponsors, but that this could be deferred for future discussion if we
>>> at least addressed the naming issue.
>> IMO we should move them to the Supporters page in separate Section
>> unless the at least contribute the equivalent value of a Bronze Sponsor
>> each year. I don't think we have to do this for past DebConfs, but at
>> least for DC13 and all the following ones.
>
> No.
> They do contribute at least the value of a Bronze Sponsor.
> And they do it year-round.

I think we need to look at this objectively.

Let's break it down.. I don't know the quantity or sizing of VM that
each hosting provider contributes.. nor do I have an exact count of
the domains.

But let's start with a couple of examples and see what we would get if
we spent the equivalent of a bronze level sponsorship with two of
these sponsors.  I am using CHF 1 = $1 for ease of comparison. IE:
$2000.

DNS: Gandi.net DNS domains for .org are $15.50/year. $2000/year would
get you 129 domains. (or more if you shopped around). I suspect we
have at most 14 domains, or the cash equivalent of $217/year.

Hosting: One of our hosting sponsors, Linode, charges between
$19.95/month for their smallest VMs to $$799 for their largest. $2000
would get us between 10 and zero VMs. (Guessing closer to 10 as I
doubt they are giving us VMs with 20GB of RAM.)  Depending on what
these hosting providers are giving us, it's possible, but not certain,
that they are providing bronze level equivalency in sponsorship. My
guess is they aren't because I don't believe DebConf has huge
infrastructure needs, but would need details to work the math.

> Moving them to some subpage, like 2nd class sponsors, just because it is
> not money, is a sure way to lose them.

I don't know what the answer is, but the fact is that today they are
more prominently displayed than financial sponsors today. I believe
this warrants further discussion. My feeling is that if their "in
kind" contribution has a cash equivalency value of or near a
corresponding "Metal level" they should also be listed at that level.

I'll flip this around. If a potential sponsor or current sponsor
reaches out to us and asks how to get listed as a permanent sponsor,
what is our answer? We are planning on reaching out to a number of
ISPs and hosting vendors that run Debian, so I am sure it will come
up, and frankly we need money to pay for the conference, not more VMs.