Re: [Debconf-team] Information gathered for travel sponsorship

Daniel Pocock dijo [Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 08:13:43PM +0200]:
> >> Actually, that is an interesting point
> >
> > no, its a boring old point...
> >
> >> If somebody's employer gives them a week of work time to attend DebConf,
> >> should that company be recognised as a sponsor?
> >
> > no. We only count money (or directly valuable ressources, usually things) into
> > account for sponsoring.
> >
> > (I guesstimate) Half of the orgateam is freelancing, listing them as sponsors
> > is... pointless or even totally besides the point.
> >

> Not completely pointless - it encourages more companies to follow the
> example of sending people on work time.
>
> Of course, if every company did that, and no company sends cash, there
> would be a problem: maybe just give 50% discount on sponsorship

I am with Holger here. We discussed this quite a while ago. If giving
your employees paid time to attend DebConf were to equal sponsorship,
several of our current sponsors would be pushed up a category or so -
And maybe they would be happy to be listed as they are right now, so
they could withdraw funds from their allocation to us, remaining
equally visible. That's not a wanted outcome.