Re: [Debconf-team] Information gathered for travel sponsorship

Lucas Nussbaum dijo [Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 08:33:26AM +0200]:
> (...)↓
> I don't think that the "economical effort" should be part of the
> ranking. First, it's very hard to quantify, because you need to consider
> at least: income, general cost of living, family & other recurring
> expenses, does attending debconf result in a loss of income (case if
> working freelance), in a loss of vacations (if attending debconf during
> vacations), or is the applicant attending debconf as part of your work,
> etc.
>
> Second, I think that it's irrelevant: I don't see why we should care
> about how hard it would be for the requester to attend if we don't
> sponsor him. Also, it turns the process into asking "OK, that requester
> says s/he won't attend if we don't sponsor him 200€.  But maybe s/he
> will attend anyway? Let's see how much s/he earns."

I agree with Lucas on this. There are just too many side
considerations to be able to unambiguously quantify how much does
attending DebConf cost to any given person. It is not just the salary
level.

> I also don't think that the "current/past contributions to Debian"
> should be ranked. Of course, they should be part of the form, to provide
> context for the "project" of the requester and make sure it is realistic
> (references are a good idea and help with that, too). But if you rank
> past contributions and use that to award sponsorship, you turn Debconf
> in a "thank you for your past work!" event.  Someone who does fantastic
> work in Debian, but plan to attend Debconf as a base camp for visiting
> Switzerland, should not be sponsored.

Right. This is a point I have thought about, but cannot come up with a
convincing (even for myself) answer. So, maybe we should ask:

- What is your general historic involvement in Debian? (to have as a
  reference)
- What are your plans for *this* DebConf, how do yo expect your
  presence here to be benefical for Debian?
- What makes you believe you will achieve it? (i.e. who can vouch for
  your involvement in a given project, or something like that)

> Another idea: ask sponsored attendees to write a short report after
> Debconf, on their actual work during debconf.  It would probably be very
> extreme to remove sponsorship after Debconf if the results are not good
> enough, but it could be re-used during the next year's process.

Right. But I don't want to be among the reviewing people, or chasing
around people because they didn't submit their work reports. And we
are, after all, not managers and managees(?) - We are a bunch of geeks
who allegedly enjoy working together, but sometimes need some monies
to do so. Adding such a report would IMO deter from the fun.