Re: [Debconf-team] Information gathered for travel sponsorship

Le dimanche, 2 septembre 2012 14.40:10, David Bremner a écrit :
> Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org> writes:
> > There are various ways to ask it: ask directly for the monthly income
> > (quite intrusive), "how many days of full-time job salary", ratio
> > between the requested amount and the monthly income, etc.
>
> (…)                                 I would add that monthly salary alone
> doesn't give very complete information. For example, I would not like to
> try to live on my monthly salary in e.g. Zurich.

Agreed. What's interesting is the ratio between the income and the amount
requested, not any of both absolute numbers. What I envision is a list ordered
by "days of work needed to produce the money I request". But I fully realise
it's quite intrusive; I tend to think the fairness introduced compensates that
though.

> >> 4) Using references
> >
> > IMHO this brings a substantial risk of tightening the tight set, but it's
> > probably worth trying if we don't put too much weight on it.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.  Speculating wildly, do you mean it
> will only help people who already get well rated?

That's it yes: it can be hard to enter the well-connected set of people: I'm
afraid that this would favor new people in established communities (say, a
member of the Swiss cabal) over new people in unknown communities (say, an
african DD…); the first would probably have less problems finding references
than the latter, yet this wouldn't mean he's "worth" more to have at DebConf.

Cheers,

OdyX