Re: [Debconf-team] Information gathered for travel sponsorship

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org> writes:

> Agreed. What's interesting is the ratio between the income and the
> amount requested, not any of both absolute numbers. What I envision is
> a list ordered by "days of work needed to produce the money I
> request".

I guess I'm not seeing how days of work is different than
monthly_salary/20 (approximately). So you may as well just ask for
salary.  I can also imagine people with same salary having vastly
different amounts of money left over to spend on travel. But maybe this
is covered adequately by the open-ended questions.

Anyway, I guess is all quibbling about details. The main question is if
there is concensus that the privacy loss in revealing income information
to the committee is outweighed by the benefits to the process. That was
far from clear to me at the BOF.

> That's it yes: it can be hard to enter the well-connected set of people: I'm
> afraid that this would favor new people in established communities (say, a
> member of the Swiss cabal) over new people in unknown communities (say, an
> african DD…); the first would probably have less problems finding references
> than the latter, yet this wouldn't mean he's "worth" more to have at DebConf.

It's hardly scientific data, but I had a conversation with somebody who
didn't get travel funding for DebConf12, but felt that a reference from
somebody they worked with on a well-known team could have helped. So at
least the intent is that people who are active within some subset of
Debian but less know globally have a better chance.

As another anecdote, I recently learned that a DD I had not heard of
since DebConf10 was doing really good work in the New Maintainer
process. If that conversation had been a reference, it would have really
helped a request for travel sponsorship.

If nothing else, it could help because most DDs are bad at bragging, but
usually better about saying nice things about other DDs.

David