[Debconf-team] mailing lists on lists.debian.org

Hi,

A discussion on #debconf-team about using lurker as the mailing list
archive turned into a discussion about using lists.debian.org for our
mailing lists.  formorer offered to help migrate debconf lists to
there.  I've heard this idea mentioned from a debian+debconf and
minimizing redundancy, but it hasn't yet progressed this far.
formorer offered to import all our archives given mboxes.

Chief among advantages are a significant reduction of workload on our
admin team, with only a minor cost to debian listmasters.  Hopefully
there will be fewer of the "lists are down" events, more
standardization for volunteers coming to/from Debian, debian spam
filtering, whitelisting, ..., and non-lurker archives is only a small
side-benefit from this.

For debconf-team: see
  http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/HOWTO_start_list
  This lists a lot of questions about making lists and the options.

Listmasters:
  Also, we could import debconfNN-localteam lists from DC7--DC11 or so
  that aren't listed there.

  Would we use the debconf- prefix?

Some considerations I can think of:

- transferring subscribers.  I assume we should do this.

- moderated lists: mainly debconf-announce.  formorer offered
shared-secret vs keyring based.  I think keyring based would be very
nice.

- debconf-announce gets a bulk subscribe of attendees each year, to
get conference-related announces.  Is this possible/easy?

- would we want to redirect mails sent to old list to new list, or
vice versa?

- role addresses (and RT).  Probably best to keep on our
infrastructure, to most easily update.  Also, this doesn't get
benefits from better archives and seems less likely to go into a bad
state where mail isn't delivered.  Because of this, we'd need to keep
mail infrastructure anyway, but this is much less complex than lists.

- closed list: right now only debconf-sponsors-team.  list HOWTO says
this is possible.

- Lists for other subprojects, such as india miniconference and other
things.  formorer said these could also be created, if the volume was
reasonable (<5-10 per year).  Maybe they should be hosted elsewhere,
though?  They could stay on the debconf list setup, ana suggested
teams.debian.net (not working anymore?), or be hosted on alioth, ....
Deferring this decision until later seems practical.

- delegation of management: can management for all lists be easily
given to debconf people, or should is it per-list?  Delegation would
reduce listmaster load.

Thoughts?

- Richard