Re: [Debconf-team] sponsored tracks?

On 27/07/12 14:14, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Daniel Pocock dijo [Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 09:49:33PM +0000]:
>> Has there ever been any variation to the existing sponsorship model, for
>> example, having sponsors for particular tracks?
>>
>> E.g. if there is a free/open VoIP track next year, there are a few
>> commercial VoIP operators I could reach out to - such sponsors could be
>> asked to pay a premium for things like
>
> I am *personally* not in favor of such a scheme. I think the
> "academic" part of the conference should be free of sponsorship
> bias. Chairing a track includes the ability to decide what talks are
> part of it, and can become a huge advertisement, commercial
> venue. I do not say I will utterly oppose the idea, but I'm very much
> more at ease without it, or if it can be _clearly_ still controlled by
> us, not by the sponsor.

I agree it should not be about the sponsor controlling the agenda - they
would simply have a presence

In fact, some topics might offend certain sponsors (e.g. a number of
projects openly proclaim themselves as alternatives to Skype), so we
wouldn't be talking about Skype sponsorship

However, there are more neutral sponsors, e.g. companies that sell
wholesale VoIP minutes.

If we can make a simple policy about this it could be useful to try,
maybe just for one track only at DebConf13.