Re: [Debconf-team] Debian Kids Camp for DebConf-next

Hi,

On Freitag, 27. Juli 2012, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> It is not a reason to not have a kids camp: it just means we need to be
> sure everyone (not just the parents) is willing to have this new
> dimension added to the event.

No.

Liability reasons but also "just" doing a "kids camp" right are two reasons,
why DebConf should not have an official kids track, definitly not right now.
(After 5 years of unofficial kids tracks, we might see this differently, based
on experience.)

(For DebConf13 we also have the additional problem of limited space
available.)

For a start, I'd merely would agree with kids accompanying people _on their
own responsibility_ (+very probably also with their own accomodation, not
adding load to the existing accomodation team), as we have running at DebConf
or going to bars or whatever. So in short: as privite activities of some
attendees many things are possible - as long as they dont conflict with/harm
DebConfs agreed goals.

This still can result in DebConf giving some room to this (ie morning runnings
were penta activities at some previous DebConfs), but I'm not sure how much we
should include aspects, which are central to some developers only and which
are not central to Debian itself, into the conference. It's certainly
reasonable to give ideas some room, but please think in bikesheds first and
don't start with a moon base.

And, while moon bases are cool, we don't need them to build the best OS ever.

cheers,
	Holger, who loves kids and doesnt really care much about moon bases.