Re: [Debconf-team] The relationship between DIVA and SPI in terms of sponsorship money

Hi,

I think we need to back up a bit...

We need links to other documentation.  Adnan, we are glad that so much
stuff is going on there, but when it comes to money like this, we need
more than just one person's assurances that everything is OK.

Remember that you're not, as you said, the "DebConf11 leader", you're
the local team leader, part of a bigger team.  And DebConf itself is
only part of Debian.  We need to follow the normal Debian procedures
about money.

We can't find any type of corporate records that might be required in
other countries (you can find bylaws, board members, meeting minutes,
resolutions, etc, publicly online for SPI and FFIS).

Can you try to respond to the previous mail with links to outside
sites and complete lists?

[replying in slightly different orders here]

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 08:47:28PM +0100, Adnan Hodzic wrote:

> > For SPI/FFIS, the 'liaison' is a Debian person who is authorised to
> > instruct that organisation to spend money.  (The organisations want to
> > know who they can accept instructions from, so they don't need to try
> > to guess who won arguments!)  That liaison should probably be a Debian
> > member (so official DD), and it's probably better if there's a
> > separation between (different people for) making decisions about money
> > and actually giving the formal instructions for payments to be made.
>
> DIVA authorizes me to be that person. Now I don't know if this is
> going to represent problem for you since I am a DD, but not a official
> one :) But either way I was planning to apply for position before
> DebConf, unless I could do it the "fast" way and apply as
> non-maintainer DD, which again wouldn't be correct as I am a
> maintainer.

This is the other way around.  There should be someone *from Debian*
who is authorized to spend the money.  Then, that person asks DIVA to
spend money on Debian's behalf.  This person shouldn't be from DIVA
itself, presumably.

This would mean that Debian, not DC11 localteam, authorizes money to
be spent.  That is assumed to be delegated to the DebConf global team
(not local team).

Being a Debian Developer isn't so important here, as my presence here
indicates.  What is more important is distributed responsibility (not
one person at any step), and delegation Debian -> DebConf global team
-> local team.

DebConfN isn't a primarily project of the DebConfN local team, it is a
project of the DebConf global team, with the local team hosting and
helping.

> In the ministry of justice of Bosnia and Herzegovina it is registered
> as "DIVA" non-profit/governmental organization.

> I understand, no problem. There's no restrictions with what DIVA can
> do with the money, unless if it's used to generate profit.

Any link to the rules governing such organizations, or do you have a
nonprofit lawyer who can give opinions?  Again, since it's just one
person we are hearing from, with no outside verification, there is
still concern.

> DIVA members are volunteers, I am leader or DebConf11 project and
> therefor am part of the board. Dzemila Josic is the president of this
> organization.

Can you provide a _link_ to all board members and responsibilities?
The bylaws?  Resolutions / meeting minutes?

Thanks,

- Richard