Re: [Debconf-team] The relationship between DIVA and SPI in terms of sponsorship money

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Adnan Hodzic <adnan@foolcontrol.org> wrote:
>> Who is on the board of directors?  What is its charter?  Who does the
>> board report to?
>
> Well since I was in this organization since its inception I believe
> I'm on the board of directors as well. Everybody talks to each other
> before any decision is being made there has to be a general agreement
> among members, a consensus.

You're not sure if you're on the board? -- can you try to find a
correct list of who is?

What is the organisation's formal status?  Is it incorporated as a
company, or just an informal association?  Is it registered as a
"non-profit" organisation of some kind?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but these things are important to know
before an official agreement to handle money for Debian.  And in the
UK or US non-profit organisations are typically restricted in what
they can do with their money, based on their official registration
documents.

>> To give context about money-holding organizations, SPI and FFIS are
>> both designed for softwae and information related purposes.  Both have
>> a formal relationship with Debian, and there is a Debian liason in the
>> project to these organizations.  Also, as an extra level of
>> association, Debian Members work prominently in both of these
>> organizations.
>
> For DIVA I personally would be that person.

For SPI/FFIS, the 'liaison' is a Debian person who is authorised to
instruct that organisation to spend money.  (The organisations want to
know who they can accept instructions from, so they don't need to try
to guess who won arguments!)  That liaison should probably be a Debian
member (so official DD), and it's probably better if there's a
separation between (different people for) making decisions about money
and actually giving the formal instructions for payments to be made.

--
Moray