Re: [Debconf-team] Special sponsorship

Hi Steve,

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 04:33:40PM +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:10:14PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 03:18:03AM +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > When is the travel sponsorship process going to be fixed to stop asking
> > > about total travel costs vs. sponsored travel costs, and instead focus on
> > > what's important:  the amount of sponsorship moneys the individual requires
> > > in order to be able to attend DebConf?
>
> > We already ask about both numbers, as you imply.
>
> I was not implying asking about *both* numbers.

I realized that. You were implying (but not unambiguously explicitly stating)
that we were already asking about both numbers, not arguing that we should. I
was merely confirming that. As many controversies as have occurred in this
thread, I did not expect that to be one of them. Chalk it up to
miscommunication between two people who care about both the issues at hand and
linguistic precision. :)

As for the rest of your proposal, I think think the merits of it should be
discussed at the travel sponsorship BoF, or in any case not in this thread. I
have already made clear that I don't plan to interfere with any eventual
consensus to drop the "total travel cost" question, if one should develop, even
though my current preference is to keep it.

The only wrinkle in that is if this unlikely hypothetical ever occurs:

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 04:39:47PM +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Note that in the system I propose, it would be perfectly reasonable for
> someone to apply for sponsorship and state that their required assistance is
> 0, and receive travel sponsorship in the end because everyone who *needed*
> sponsorship got it, with money to spare.

In such a case, the herb team would still not need to know total travel cost as
part of its decisionmaking, but any "optional" sponsorship we were able to
grant should still only be up to the documented level of actual expenses, which
would be a matter of the attendee giving receipts to the SPI Treasurer, not
anything herb-team-related. This is not a major wrinkle, of course.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org