Re: [Debconf-team] Special sponsorship

Hi Steve,

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 03:18:03AM +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
> When is the travel sponsorship process going to be fixed to stop asking
> about total travel costs vs. sponsored travel costs, and instead focus on
> what's important:  the amount of sponsorship moneys the individual requires
> in order to be able to attend DebConf?

We already ask about both numbers, as you imply. I do think it's reasonable and
helpful to know the total cost and at least some assertion about the
applicant's financial situation (we're not asking for tax documents here). This
allows herb team members to infer whether the applicant is doing their part to
pay what they can. In order for our limited travel funds to be used
optimally, both the applicants and the herb team have roles to play. However,
if Debian discusses this issue and develops a consensus that it doesn't want to
know people's total projected travel costs, I don't plan to stand in the way of
that. Not that I have veto power anyway, of course.

Definitely one fix that should be among next year's changes is replacing the
"Amount you are unable to pay yourself" wording with something easier for
people from around the world to read quickly, like "Amount of travel assistance
needed". But the question, with inferior phrasing, is already asked.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org