Re: [Debconf-team] Special sponsorship

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 01:57:54 -0400, Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> wrote:
> Some of us would just like to make a donation, additional sponsorship,
> or donate some of our travel sponsorship in order to fund Clint's
> travel.

While, as you know, I'm all for this situation being sorted out, I
have doubts that it's OK to earmark money for an individual's benefit,
and still put it through the not-for-profit -- at least I'm pretty
certain that doing that would cause problems for a UK Charity.

> As a positive solution to this problem, Phil Hands and I are hoping to
> revamp the travel sponsorship team next year, based on the desires
> expressed by the DebConf community at the BOF we have proposed, and
> being as transparent and communicative about our team as possible.  At
> the very least, if we do not change the process, we can be more
> transparent.  We can't take over a team ourselves, but we hope our
> proposal, whatever it is, is well received.

You are obviously more optimistic than I.

I think that whatever scheme we use in future, we will continue to have
occasional mistakes (especially if we try to make early decisions, since
then we are liable to run out of money before a deserving latecomer
applies)

Given that, perhaps what we need a defined appeals process (assuming
that we don't already have one), but even that is likely to just cause
knock-on unfairness -- I'm aware that these are not easy decisions.

There is also the danger that people will not get the clear message:
that if they want sponsorship, it is important that they apply early and
provide sufficient information to inform the decision process.

So, perhaps it's best if the occasional exception continues to be
handled using exceptional measures, as would seem to be the case here.

Cheers, Phil.