Re: [Debconf-team] Special sponsorship

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 09:54:27AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> I think that one of the problems is that people have different
> understandings of "travel assistance needed". What does "needed" mean?
> One could use a loan to pay the debconf trip, so even in this case, the
> travel assistance is not really "needed".

I think this is an invented problem.  There is no reason not to take Debian
contributors at their word when they say they "need" a certain amount of
travel assistance to attend DebConf.  If we aren't willing to trust Debian
contributors to answer such a question honestly, we're doing it wrong.

Note that in the system I propose, it would be perfectly reasonable for
someone to apply for sponsorship and state that their required assistance is
0, and receive travel sponsorship in the end because everyone who *needed*
sponsorship got it, with money to spare.

> IMHO, the real question is: "how much would the project need to pay to
> have you at debconf?"

Yes, I think that's the same question I'm meaning to ask - though I don't
care much for that wording. :)