Re: [Debconf-team] Special sponsorship

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 03:17:48PM +0200, micah anderson wrote:
> > > If we want to keep debconf and debian out of tax trouble, a committee
> > > designed to execute a process that allocates money between themselves
> > > isn't how its done.
> >
> > > Calling this a simple mistake is ignoring a very serious concern.
> >
> > Besides the numbers that Jimmy already provided: No board member was or
> > is able to funnel money at themselve without the approval of another 10
> > people.
>
> Sorry, but when it comes to corporate malfeasance and appearance of
> impropriety, that doesn't matter. What matters is that a board member
> had a say in the process where they were allocated money (and their say
> was that they should get it).

For the purposes of complying with the law, this is actually sufficient. See my
previous mail. Whatever policies we choose to apply beyond that are not at the
behest of the government. In neither that mail nor this one am I trying to say
self-rating is desirable, only that (unless a director's/officer's own vote
makes the difference and they still accept the money) yhe government doesn't
care, and the fact that board members are involved (with that one caveat)
doesn't change that.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org