[Debconf-team] DebConf 11 Date Change? (was: Re: [Debconf11-bosnia] DC11 Govt. meeting Nov. 22 Summary & Plans for future)

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 05:08:02PM +0100, Adnan Hodzic wrote:
> As it looks right now, perfect dates are:
>
> DebCamp 17 - 23 July (17th is Sunday)
> DebConf 24 - 30 July (24th is Sunday)

Ehm, I thought you already announced the "official" dates at
http://foolcontrol.org/?p=1150?

(As you may have noticed on IRC) I'm very surprised, that the date is
still open for discussion.

And I'd at least would have expected that the above mentioned blog
posting (which is still online like it was posted with the original
dates and not the slightest hint that those dates are open for
discussion) will be updated in any case these dates may change.

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 04:09:29PM +0100, Adnan Hodzic wrote debconfi-team:
> Before I make any final dates myself, "again" let's discuss this and
> let's decide these dates together. After reading some of your opinions
> it should be backed up by one date earlier so the final dates should
> look like:
>
> 24th - 30th - DebCamp
> 31st - 7th - DebConf

This would be stll ok for me, but slightly worse than the already
announced dates. Won't be able to attend whole DebConf then.

I'd also expected that a change in dates is mentioned at least
somewhere in the subject of a debconf11-bosnia thread and not hidden
under a thread which just looks like some govt. meeting summary. I
changed the subject accordingly so that maybe some more people become
aware of this unfortunate issue.

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 01:25:31PM +0100, Velimir Iveljic wrote:
> Because of this, and because we need to decide the final DebConf11 dates
> soon, we would like to propose a different set of dates for DebCamp11 and
> DebConf11:
>
> DebCamp 17 - 23 July (17th is Sunday)
> DebConf 24 - 30 July (24th is Sunday)

I'm _very_ unhappy with these new dates, because in that case I can't
come to DebConf and will probably not come to DebCamp only either. I'd
also have to cancel the holidays I already applied for from 8th to
14th of August. :-(

(Best dates for me would be btw. a week later than the originally
announced dates, because I'd be able to attend both, DebCamp and
DebConf. I'm just not available from 26th to 30th of July. Plus I'll
need probably two days to travel from the middle of France to Banja
Luka on 31.7./1.8.)

Cc'ing Thomas Koch, because I know he also already applied for
holidays (and maybe even already bought train tickets) for the
originally announced dates.

As Thomas wrote when asking when the DebConf 11 dates will be
announced, many were waiting for the dates so that they can apply for
holidays. Now changing the date after the announcement is a very bad
idea for such people. :-(

P.S.: I'm just on the debconf11-bosnia list, not on the debconf-team list.

		Kind regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin