Re: [Debconf-team] cost/value of video (was Re: attendee bursary status)

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 09:29:51AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 03:20:47AM -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
>> > Personally I would rather cut things like talks (and therefore
>> > security fees), video feeds,
>>
>> Are there concerns wrt to video feeds (or recordings) costing large
>> amounts of money?
>>
>> If so, I want to hear them so we can deal with them. At various points
>> in our preparations for DC10 I've detected hints from some team members
>> at different times that the needs of producing the video coverage are
>> perceived as an undue burden. If I've just imagined this, then just
>> ignore this mail.
>
>As usual, I can't speak for the DebConf team, but I can comment on what
>I think would be best for the Debian community about videos, IMVHO.
>I believe the Debian community badly need the video streaming. My
>argument is that DebConf, no matter where it is located, has some kind
>of pre-selection: if it's "near" you (not only in space, but also in
>time: i.e. the dates are OK for you) you are likely to attend, if it's
>not you're less likely to attend.
>
>We cannot really afford to cut out for 2 weeks the part of the Debian
>community which can not attend DebConf. To that end, video streaming,
>together with talk-related IRC sessions, are our best resources, we
>should not cut them lightly. I've briefly chatted with Holger about the
>video-team budget and he is confident the budgeted 1k for video-team
>would be enough. If due to some emergency it will be not, Debian can
>cover up.

To follow up on that...

I had a policy in the last couple of years as DPL that if any capital
expenditure (i.e. equipment purchase) was needed for video team kit,
then it should also be counted as *Debian* expenditure more than
*DebConf* expenditure. This is for two reasons: the fact that it makes
DebConf more accessible to people who can't make it in person (as Zack
says), and also that we will be able to use the equipment for other
events like FOSDEM.

Other things that may need rental (lighting, a camera or two?)
shouldn't be too expensive in my experience. If the budgeted 1K is
enough, then that sounds more than reasonable.

Is there anybody out there?