[Debconf-team] cost/value of video (was Re: attendee bursary status)

(The bursary stuff in this thread has mostly been sorted out and our
budget situation has improved since what I'm responding to was written,
so maybe this is no longer an issue.)

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 01:30:46PM +0000, Clint Adams wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 05:12:27AM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > - some people in the queue A has dropout (maybe 1-2k USD)
> Personally I would rather cut things like talks (and therefore
> security fees), video feeds,

Are there concerns wrt to video feeds (or recordings) costing large
amounts of money?

If so, I want to hear them so we can deal with them. At various points
in our preparations for DC10 I've detected hints from some team members
at different times that the needs of producing the video coverage are
perceived as an undue burden. If I've just imagined this, then just
ignore this mail.

If on the other hand there really are concerns that haven't been
addressed, that means I haven't done a good enough job of explaining
things and communicating to everyone. It's also likely that I've not
thought of some things.

Perhaps the suggestion above to cut feeds means there is some fiscal
cost to running them I haven't realized.

I've personally been trying hard to avoid having DebConf pay for very
much of anything for DC10 video coverage. The only gear I'm afraid we
might have to buy or rent is lighting for the Interschool Lab. If it is
a major concern, we'll just have less than well lit video from that
room.

So far money has only been spent on shipping stuff from various places
we've had it stored and from various people who are going to donate
stuff for us to use.

All of the gear we've arranged to use so far is either already owned by
us or being loaned to us by team members.

-edrz