Re: [Debconf-team] cost/value of video (was Re: attendee bursary status)

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 03:20:47AM -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 01:30:46PM +0000, Clint Adams wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 05:12:27AM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > > - some people in the queue A has dropout (maybe 1-2k USD)
> > Personally I would rather cut things like talks (and therefore
> > security fees), video feeds,
>
> Are there concerns wrt to video feeds (or recordings) costing large
> amounts of money?
>
> If so, I want to hear them so we can deal with them. At various points
> in our preparations for DC10 I've detected hints from some team members
> at different times that the needs of producing the video coverage are
> perceived as an undue burden. If I've just imagined this, then just
> ignore this mail.

As usual, I can't speak for the DebConf team, but I can comment on what
I think would be best for the Debian community about videos, IMVHO.
I believe the Debian community badly need the video streaming. My
argument is that DebConf, no matter where it is located, has some kind
of pre-selection: if it's "near" you (not only in space, but also in
time: i.e. the dates are OK for you) you are likely to attend, if it's
not you're less likely to attend.

We cannot really afford to cut out for 2 weeks the part of the Debian
community which can not attend DebConf. To that end, video streaming,
together with talk-related IRC sessions, are our best resources, we
should not cut them lightly. I've briefly chatted with Holger about the
video-team budget and he is confident the budgeted 1k for video-team
would be enough. If due to some emergency it will be not, Debian can
cover up.

Cheers.