[Debconf-team] Food costs and WRL refunds?

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 03:28:39 -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@debconf.org> wrote:
> I will still contact a sales representative of WRL on Tuesday, but in the
> meantime, I have found more pricing and other details online:
>
> https://www.wrl.com/about/faq.html

I was just looking at this, and noticed:

  Q: What happens when the card expires and there are funds remaining?

  A: We encourage you to use the entire card amount before the card
     expires. Once the card expires the balance is captured by
     WRL. However, this can be negotiable depending on your requirements.

which makes me think that we're liable to end up with a bunch of cards
with small non-refundable balances (which is not a criticism, as the
alternative would seem to be to have people run out of credit on the
last day or two, which will be painful)

How much are we planning on putting on these credit cards per
person? Does paying by this method mean that there will be a discount
From the restaurants, or are we paying full price for people's food?

Depending on those numbers, I think I'm quite likely to opt out of
receiving such a card, or pay for the card myself if it attracts a
discount.

I may not be alone in this -- if we explain the expected food costs to
people, they can decide if they can afford to pay some/all of their own
food after all -- making such a decision in the absence of any numbers
is much braver, and so is less likely to have happened at sign-up time.

Since we appear to be about to send a mail about day-trip costs, we
could combine that with a note to the effect:

  We're short of cash, so if you want to help DebConf please decide if
  you can afford to buy some/all of your own food.  Here are the
  numbers:

  Remember: If you do this it will free up funds for people that
  currently will not be able to afford their travel costs, so you are
  _directly_ helping to make DebConf more interesting if you do this.

Cheers, Phil.