Re: [Debconf-team] non-JJ food meeting summary

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 20:21:19 -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@debconf.org> wrote:

>   - Those who are not paying per meal (sponsored-food, Professional, Corporate) will have prepaid VISA signature-only debit cards restricted to use only at restaurants and grocery stores. https://www.wrl.com/ (WRL) is the vendor.
>     ** ACTION: ** No later than Tuesday, I or Michael Schultheiss will have contacted WRL and, unless they are slow to respond, gotten exact price details.
>     - Current understanding of the pricing:
>       -  The only per-card fee is less money than we would have spent on catering or cafeteria-staff overhead, so will not increase our budget for equivalent food.
>       - The only startup fee is likely to be covered from SPI general (non-Deb*) funds since it is useful to future SPI activities.

How does it work if someone loses their card?

> The current plan is to have an outdoor (but rain-protected) catered meal somewhere within walking distance of the venue (to avoid more subway fees), including some amplified sound for things like the DPL speech.

While outside dinners are nice, am I the only one who is concerned about
this being potentially oppressive due to humidity and temperature? It
also might be fine, but if it wasn't I'm not sure if we should be
counting on that.

> If we decide to do coffee breaks, we can go to a nearby place like Absolute
> Bagels and get great fresh bagels+coffee, either delivered by us or by them.
> This probably shouldn't be in the hacklabs to avoid pissing off CS/SEAS, but
> might be doable in the CEPSR lobby since IIRC lots of conferences have food
> there.

I like the idea of bagels and coffee. I think Clint did some back of the
napkin calculations and the cost was not that much. The place providing
them should be given more advance notice than just calling them up in
the morning.

Cleaning costs were mentioned as a potential problem here, but I am
wondering why we cannot make sure that things are cleaned up to save
these costs? Are we not allowed to clean up after ourselves? I can
understand if we failed to do a good enough job, someone would have to
clean whatever is left over, but if we can do our best and save 95% of
the cleaning costs, I think we can find people willing to chip in to
help out.

micah